PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT DIPLOMA
The Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program has been designed to provide students with a strong foundation to work under the supervision of a Physiotherapist. Current trends in Healthcare restructuring have resulted in shorter hospital stays and more outpatient rehabilitation. Some tasks formerly performed by Physiotherapists are now being delegated to Assistants in an effort to further reduce costs. The demand for Physiotherapist Assistants is expected to increase over the next few years. Inclusive of an 8-week clinical practicum period, the program provides a well-rounded combination of theory instruction and practical training from which the student can continually develop and apply their knowledge. Students are taken on field trips and have guest speakers visit the Academy.
|CPR and First Aid||16|
|Canadian Health Care System||20|
|Anatomy, Physiology and Terminology||60|
|Human and Functional Lifespan Development||60|
|Kinesiology and Body Mechanics||40|
|Communication and Patient Care||40|
|Therapeutic Modalities and Physical Agents||40|
|Computers in Health Care||20|
|Career Success Tools||20|
|Professionalism in Rehabilitative Practice||40|
|Introduction to Gerontology||20|
TOTAL PROGRAM LENGTH: 38 weeks, including an 8-week practicum
National Academy is proud of its strong relationships with private clinics, athletic and rehabilitation clinics, and hospital prosthetic departments. During your practicum, you will have the opportunity to apply your theoretical skills in a professional setting, which will help develop confidence and practical “real world” experience.
Future Career Opportunities
The graduates are prepared to work in the following settings under the supervision of a Physiotherapist:
- Any rehabilitation departments
- Fitness clubs and spas
- Hospitals (areas of physiotherapy, rehabilitation and prosthetics)
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Long term care facilities
- Sports medicine clinics
- Clinics offering chiropractic, homeopathic and naturopathic care
- Recreational therapy facilities
Developing work place skills is an investment in your future. Financial Assistance may be available to those who qualify. Call one of our career counsellors for more information.
We also accept Aeroplan® Miles and TD Points via HigherEdPoints.
A Day in the Life… (what to expect)
Some or all of the following duties performed by a Physiotherapy Assistant include:
- Physiotherapist Assistants work in a variety of clinical areas such as neurology, orthopedics, and cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary disorders, which may include obstetrics, pediatrics, rheumatology, oncology, sports injuries, geriatrics, and the treatment of patients with burns or in the field of ergonomics.
- Assess patients’ physical abilities through evaluative procedures such as functional ability tests.
- Establish treatment goals, alongside the Physiotherapist, with patients based on physical diagnoses.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of programs of physiotherapy including therapeutic exercise, manipulations, massage, education, the use of electro-therapeutic and other mechanical equipment and hydro-therapy.
- Evaluate effectiveness of treatment plans and modify accordingly.
- Maintain clinical and statistical records and confer with other healthcare professionals.
- Assist in the development and implementation of health promotion programs for patients, staff and the community.
Free Information Responses within 24 hours
- 3 Things to Know About Young Offenders if You Want to Become a Police Officer15 Aug 2018
- Why Grads with a Supply Chain and Logistics Diploma Care About Customer Service8 Aug 2018
- How to Expertly Connect with Clients During and After CSW Training1 Aug 2018
- Why You Might Want to Encourage Clients to Use Technology Once You Become a PSW25 Jul 2018
- The Pros and Cons of Mouthwash: What to Know During Dental Assistant School17 Jul 2018
- About us
- Your Admission
- Job Search
- Contact Us
- Recent KPI Results (English / French)
- 165 Dundas Street West, 3rd Floor
- Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 2N6
- Phone : 1.647.492.6484
- Email : email@example.com
- 31 King Street East, 2nd Floor
- Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1A1
- Phone: 1.888.446.4649
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accounting and Payroll Administration Diploma
- Business Office Administration Diploma
- Office Administration Diploma