PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT DIPLOMA
The Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program has been designed to provide students with a strong foundation to work under the supervision of a Physiotherapist.
Current trends in Healthcare restructuring have resulted in shorter hospital stays and more outpatient rehabilitation. Some tasks formerly performed by Physiotherapists are now being delegated to Assistants in an effort to further reduce costs.
The demand for Physiotherapist Assistants is expected to increase over the next few years.
Inclusive of an 11-week clinical placement period, the program provides a well-rounded combination of theory instruction and practical training from which the student can continually develop and apply their knowledge to skilled tasks and proper assessment procedures.
Students are taken on field trips and have guest speakers visit the Academy.
|Anatomy & Physiology||95|
|Water/Electrolyte Balance/Nervous System||20|
|Intro to Kinesiology/Gait||20|
|Amputation and Care/prostheses||20|
|Common Human Disorders||70|
|Review for Midterm theory||8|
|Clinical Problem Solving I||10|
|Systems of Health Care Delivery||5|
|Clinical Problem Solving II||10|
|Final Practical Examination||5|
|Review for Theory Final||17|
|Final Theory Exam||3|
TOTAL PROGRAM LENGTH: 36 weeks, including an 11 week job placement
The Academy is proud of its strong relationships with private clinics, athletic and rehabilitation clinics along with hospital prosthetic departments. We are pleased to locate these placements on the students’ behalf so they are able to concentrate on their academics throughout their 9 months at the National Academy of Health & Business.
Future Career Opportunities
The graduates are prepared to work in the following settings under the supervision of a Physiotherapist:
- Any rehabilitation departments
- Fitness clubs and spas
- Hospitals (areas of physiotherapy, rehabilitation and prosthetics)
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Long term care facilities
- Sports medicine clinics
- Clinics offering chiropractic, homeopathic and naturopathic care
- Recreational therapy facilities
The National Academy of Health & Business is one of the few Colleges that will find your placement for you following your in-class training. In the job placement, you will have the opportunity to apply your theoretical skills in a professional setting that will help you gain confidence through hands-on training, and practical experience in a real work setting.
The Physiotherapist Assistant diploma program is eligible for up to five different funding options, including OSAP (to those who qualify), EI, Second Career, Payment Plans, Student Line of Credit and even loans facilitated by us.
A Day in the Life… (what to expect)
Some or all of the following duties performed by a Physiotherapy Assistant include:
- Physiotherapist Assistants work in a variety of clinical areas such as neurology, orthopedics, and cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary disorders, which may include obstetrics, pediatrics, rheumatology, oncology, sports injuries, geriatrics, and the treatment of patients with burns or in the field of ergonomics.
- Assess patients’ physical abilities through evaluative procedures such as functional ability tests.
- Establish treatment goals, alongside the Physiotherapist, with patients based on physical diagnoses.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of programs of physiotherapy including therapeutic exercise, manipulations, massage, education, the use of electro-therapeutic and other mechanical equipment and hydro-therapy.
- Evaluate effectiveness of treatment plans and modify accordingly.
- Maintain clinical and statistical records and confer with other healthcare professionals.
- Assist in the development and implementation of health promotion programs for patients, staff and the community.
- National Academy voted Best Career College by View Magazine readers23 May 2012
- Mississauga Campus Open House with Spider Jones - December 8.23 May 2012
- New Course: Pharmacy Technician Program Now Accepting Applications23 May 2012
- Happy 33rd Anniversary To Us23 May 2012
- Great News for Students, Staff and NAHB!23 May 2012
- 165 Dundas Street West, 3rd Floor
- Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 2N6
- Phone : 1888 306 0991
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- 31 King Street East, 2nd Floor
- Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1A1
- Phone: 1.888.446.4649
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Accounting and Payroll Administration Diploma
- Business Administration Diploma
- Office Administration Diploma