MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN /
The Medical Laboratory Technician diploma program provides both strong theoretical and practical teaching instruction in a newly designed, state-of-the-art laboratory on site. With this combination of instruction, the students obtain a strong basis to prepare for the challenges of a career in the healthcare field.
The program provides a well-rounded combination of lectured instruction with hands on laboratory work on which to grow and learn, including a 4-week clinical placement
The National Academy is proud of the strong relationships with hospitals, private labs and companies alike; we are proud to locate these placements on the students’ behalf so they are able to concentrate on their academics throughout the 8 months at the National Academy of Health & Business.
This diploma program has been approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (O.S.M.T).
|Introduction to Healthcare||40|
|Introduction to the Body & Disease||45|
|Clinical Laboratory Introduction*
*Quality Assurance/Laboratory Math
|Blood, Circulation and Respiration**
**Inclusive of ECG training
|Microbiology and Immunology||50|
|Urinary system and Urinalysis||40|
|Digestive system, Metabolism and Nutrition||40|
|Nervous and Endocrine Function||50|
|Reproduction, development, Histology||50|
|Career Search & Resume Strategies||10|
|CPR and First Aid training||15|
TOTAL PROGRAM LENGTH: 34 weeks, including a 4 week job placement
Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Technician program are eligible to write the OSMT certification examination. The designation of MLA/T will be granted upon successful completion of this examination.
The Ontario Society of Medical Technologies (OSMT) holds this certification examination twice per year (June and November).
Our graduates are prepared for careers in the following areas:
- Public health laboratory environment
- Private diagnostic laboratories
- Hospital laboratory
- Areas of quality control (i.e.: food industry, point of care testing etc.)
- Doctor’s office or medical clinic
- Independent Laboratory corporations
- Government laboratories
The National Academy of Health & Business is one of the few Colleges that will find your placement for you following your in-class training. In the job placement, you will have the opportunity to apply your theoretical skills in a professional setting that will help you gain confidence through hands-on training, and practical experience in a real work setting.
The Medical Laboratory Technician diploma program is eligible for up to five different funding options, including OSAP (to those who qualify), EI, Second Career, Payment Plans, Studnet Line of Credit, and even loans facilitated by us.
A Day in the Life… (what to expect)
As with most healthcare professions, the demand for Medical Laboratory Technicians is expected to increase due to the increasing average age of Canada’s population. Some or all of the following duties performed by a Medical Laboratory Technician include:
- Collect blood or other samples from patients
- Receive tissue samples from patients
- Log patient samples and prepare them for testing
- Set up medical laboratory equipment
- Conduct routine laboratory tests and sample analyses
- Clean and maintain medical laboratory and medical laboratory equipment.
- National Academy voted Best Career College by View Magazine readers23 May 2012
- Mississauga Campus Open House with Spider Jones - December 8.23 May 2012
- New Course: Pharmacy Technician Program Now Accepting Applications23 May 2012
- Happy 33rd Anniversary To Us23 May 2012
- Great News for Students, Staff and NAHB!23 May 2012
- 165 Dundas Street West, 3rd Floor
- Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 2N6
- Phone : 1888 306 0991
- Email : email@example.com
- 31 King Street East, 2nd Floor
- Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1A1
- Phone: 1.888.446.4649
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accounting and Payroll Administration Diploma
- Business Administration Diploma
- Office Administration Diploma